Skip to main content

Speaking through Quotes

I'm writing a press release on a speech Sandra Day O'Connor gave a few weeks back. About 80% of her speech was quoting others to make her point. In that spirit, the Quote of the Day spoke to me...

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." ~ Dale Carnegie

Based on recent circumstances, I hope I can be happy with what I get even if it isn't what I want.

And in response to a comment made by a friend at the pumpkin carving party:

Although the hopes are dashed I feel that what I got instead will be better in the end.

Malcolm Forbes said, "Failure is success if we learn from it."

I'm learning all the time. And even if I fail a thousand times, as Edison once said, "I'll have discovered a thousand ways that don't work." I haven't failed a thousand times yet (though it sometimes feels that way). I am blessed to have failed many, many times. And if Forbes is correct, than I am successful many times over.

On the same theme, Theodore Roosevelt said, "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." No explanation necessary, I agree entirely. (Thanks to Dave for that quote.)

I'll end with Herman Melville. He said, "We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men." It's true. But sometimes we have to do things for ourselves so that we can maintain the strength of the other connections. I don't believe in cutting one thing off in favor of another. But I have to take care of myself, or I will never be able to take care of others.

Love always, ~Heather

Comments