.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Adopting in Ashburn

What began in France moved to Washington, DC and then the suburbs. Let the adventures in Ashburn continue.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Shopping

On the fourth of July it was about 100 degrees with the heat index. I played grass volleyball for somewhere near three hours and came home - not exhausted, just sweaty. Today I went shopping for three hours. I was so tired that when I stopped to pick up bread and peas for my mother on the way home I also grabbed a bottle of wine. I collapsed with a glass of Barefoot Chardonnay soon thereafter (not in the car, on the couch).

Under ordinary circumstances I detest shopping. The idea of spending my hard earned money freaks me out. When I am under the duress of necessity (this is relative, obviously food is mandatory while a quilt that isn't two sizes too small for the bed in my new apartment is just a practical idea) I calm down a little - but not much.

I am using my parents' old sheets, a duvet cover I am making myself, lamps and furniture from my current bedroom, and almost everything from my dorm room - so spending my budget of $300 to purchase supplies, an armoire (since my room doesn't have a closet), and a desk isn't really all that horrible. But that is about two weeks' salary and I have only worked about 5 weeks this summer. I'm not stressed about the money - I've been saving for this, it is just that it is a big step to go out and say, "I am going to buy this. I will not regret my purchase."

This brings me to how I got exhausted. In order to make that statement with the kind of psychological support it needs, I have to put in some effort. I looked through every flyer in the Sunday paper and all the catalogs that came this week and made a list of what was cheapest where (the two lowest price places). Then I made a list of everything I needed that wasn't in a flyer. I went to Walmart; Target; Linens & Things; KMart; Bed, Bath & Beyond; Circuit City; and Staples. I had a clipboard with my version of a comparison chart. I was organized and efficient as I checked on the price of each item in every (almost) store.

I didn't buy a single item on my list today though. I had to price everything so I would know what stores to go back to. That is tomorrow's mission. Then this weekend Mom and I are going to go to Sam's and get me some things in bulk I might need. Between now and the weekend I'll be visiting the dentist, doctor, Ford service center, and probably spending a bunch of time in the attic and garage organizing my stuff.

During this trying time I ask not for pity but for prayers. Mostly I would pray for my parents though, since they have to put up with me. I am determined to not procrastinate. I want going to get my MA to be a turning point in my life not only educationally but personally and hopefully socially. Spiritually would be a bonus item (not that this isn't as important, it just is something that seems to happen on its own while personal and social things take a concerted effort (and I know I should make the effort spiritually .... I know)). My first step is making this move as effortless and stress free as possible for everyone involved.

"I am on my way. I can go the distance. I'll be there someday, if I can be strong. I know every mile will be worth my while. I would go most anywhere to feel like I belong."
~Hercules from Disney's Hercules
Best wishes to all of you out there venturing to school soon.
Aussi un petit mot pour Martin: Felicitations pour les cheveux plus courts!
Goodnight. I'll talk to you soon. Love always, ~Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Fix this