Skip to main content

Move It!

So the other night I saw Madagascar with my family. The best part of this film is when the "king" of the monkeys starts singing "I like to move it move it. I like to move it move it. I like to move it move it. I like to MOVE it!" The reason why this happened to be so funny was because the song was written for a rapper and the guy singing had an Indian accent. The next part is especially politically incorrect, but all I kept thinking was: the night I finally do get intoxicated, I am going to get in a cab and my cabby is going to be singing this song with that accent. We watched almost all of the credits listening to him sing it again. Fantastic.

Other good stories from this week include driving up to Raleigh to see some old family friends. They first messed up the time. Then they didn't know where the restaurant they wanted to go to was. Then we got lost on bad directions from a concessionist at the IMAX theater. Finally we got to where we were going and had chinese food that made me sick from the first bite (I was so hungry, it being about two hours after we were supposed to have eaten, that I figured it was hunger pain and accidently kept eating).

The reason why this is a good story is because we drove like 45 minutes out of our way to get there and then didn't even spend more than an hour together. But the people we were hanging out with were teachers from my elementary school, my PE coach in particular, and his son - my brother's best friend since preschool. Regardless of the adventure it took to get there, catching up with old friends is always a pleasure. Always.

Last night I came upstairs at about 12:30am planning on heading to bed. I stopped in the Frog to shut off the computer and my brother sent me a message. He wanted me to read his new blog. I checked it out (and so can you, link on the side) and then spent an hour helping him revise his template and organize the page so it would be more like him. I think we were pretty successful.

Also yesterday, I was working and the family I work for is planning on moving. They are getting rid of a bunch of old stuff - which is perfect as I am looking to get some things for my future home. In addition to 4 kitchen chairs with slipcovers I got 6 cans of specialty high gloss paints (my boss runs her own personalized frame painting business) and a whole stack of books. I read one of them today, Go Ask Alice. If you don't like reading, it was also turned into a film in the 70's, but I haven't seen it yet. If it is anything like the book, it is an excellent way to understand the thoughts of a teenage drug user. It really helps you look at these kids again and realize the pain they are in. If you've seen the movie, thumbs ratings would be appreciated.

Then today I watched Dead Poet's Society. I love that movie. It always makes me think I should enjoy reading poetry. Of course I still don't, but I like writing it. Poetry is one of those things you really have to be in the mood for. Dylan Thomas, Whitman, Dickinson, Tennyson, Thoreau - they are all so brilliant. But I just can't seem to appreciate them unless I am terribly moody myself and find just the perfect poem for my current emotions.

It also makes me think about stepping out and trying new things, being brave, evaluating my life for possibilites, paths unseen. I get so motivated. I even cleaned part of my room! (That was combination "possibly finding a place" enthusiasm and inspiration.) I love movies like that. I think I like them more because I spend a good part of the film trying to figure out where all the references come from. So fun.

I also got to spend an hour talking to my sister today. It is always fun to be able to chat with someone who has known you your whole life and still admits to knowing you. It was funny but I forgot to tell her about the choir practice I went to last night. If you have ever heard me play the piano, I think you'll understand why it was hysterical that I was the musician of the evening. Not enough people were even there to make it worth the rehearsal, but as Patti put it, God loves a joyful noise.

Alright, I'll be concise today and let you go. Hope you are having a story-filled weekend! Love, ~Heather

Comments