Skip to main content

Vacation Void

I am sitting in a rift. I am not doing anything productive. I slept really late and my greatest achievement today was making this apple crumble thing with honey which may not have been cooked through. It is the first day of winter vacation.

It isn't like I don't have a ton of stuff to get done. FAFSA, taxes (those two need to be done together), correcting papers, finishing up reservations and plans for Caroline's trip, making plans for a Phase 10 night this week, finishing applications for summer camps, shortening my personal statement to 2 pages, creating a budget for next year (based on making enough money this summer to account for all possible debts incurred this year), responding to emails, getting smarter, and finishing the five books I checked out of the library.

In the book regard, I finished The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe last night. As it turns out, I never read the book as a kid, but it was pretty good. I am going to dedicate a whole blog entry to an analysis of the book as a means of teaching the story of Jesus and Christian morals in the near future, because there are just too many references to let it go unnoticed. Also, thanks to Mom and Dad for the fabulous package (book included). It really made my day.

On the subject of blogs, I need to catch you up on the strikes that have been going on, the JP meeting I went to, and the Taizé prayer group I hung out with last night. So, blogging, laundry, and using my four movie passes should take up alot of my time in the next few days.

Being stuck in the school, I am constantly tempted to go out to grab lunch or go to the laundromat or do something. But, in the effort to economize my humble government salary - I stay in. I think of it as my means of resisting temptation. It should be noted that my personal restrictions have led me to cleanning out my room (not my stuff, but I had a whole shelf full of stuff the old assistants had left that I hadn't yet gone through and needed to be sorted and thrown out). I also reorganized my shelves and put all the food in one place.

Reading back over this reminds me of why I am here, to relax and reflect. I always thought it would be so great to have nothing in my way of stopping me from just sitting at home and doing the ordinary things I never seemed to have time for. In case I ever forget that I am just not that type of person, I ask each of you to remind me - because I am sure that next year when I am working at least one job and taking classes and possibly picking up an internship and substitute teaching, that I am going to be begging for a slow paced life. In reality, I will just be whining, I love living on a minute to minute schedule.

Therefore, I am going back to my room, because there really isn't anything else for me to do (besides continue to play around on the computer, which I have already been doing for 3 hours). I am going to get started on doing things. I am going to achieve something. Because sitting in the void I call a life makes me really dislike the idea of ever taking a vacation from an action packed life again.

Off I go to the dulldroms. (If you don't know where that is, check out a copy of The Phantom Tollbooth). Love always, ~Heather

Comments