Skip to main content

God, Hell, & Ice Cream

I'm working on my take-home comprehensive exams this weekend. It is literally half way through my program and it seems like it is all going to pass very quickly after this.

To take a break though (because one cannot really concentrate for 72 straight hours and be productive), I went to a play with a friend. We saw God by Woody Allen and Hell by David Mamet. I like Hell better.

Both were really well performed. Special kudos to the guy who played the devil, because he was out of this world amazing. Also, if the devil's secretary really does have a voice like that, he should drop out of law school and become and announcer somewhere. His voice was both soothing and engaging. The most interesting part though was that the actors in both plays were all law students at Georgetown. Where they find time to rehearse and memorize lines is beyond me. Three cheers for y'all.

After the show we went out to ice cream in Cleveland Park. (Testing my ice cream theory.) The gelato place was closed, so Cold Stone got our business instead. My favorite concoction is cake batter ice cream with strawberries and cookie dough. I'm not sure why, but I love it. Regardless of what he might say about it though, my friend could not have invented the explosion of joy. He never tasted it. So, he therefore could not have invented it, regardless of Alexamder Graham Bell's achievements.

Anyway, the whole reason I was posting was to tell you about a smidget of our conversation. He said that all girl's like __holes. I said this wasn't really true when I started liking them, it just turned out that way. I feel like I go for the nice guys (they are just so often NOT nice). Anyway (again), I was thinking in the car on the way home about it and I decided that although I try for nice, most of my friends don't. The reason why, as far as I can gather, is that even the nice guys do obnoxious and horrible things to you (intentionally or not). So, the next time you have to make a decision between nice and not, you find yourself walking into a lose-lose situation.

If you choose nice and he's not, then you feel worse than ever because you thought he was nice. If you choose not nice, at least you knew it from the beginning. Since so few nice guys actually manage to be successfully nice all the time, they sort of ruin it for themselves.

Motto of the day: Be nice all the time.

[It should be mentioned that if you truly are nice but have to do something that is not nice, you will be considered not nice until you redeem yourself. I believe in redemption. I can't speak for girls everywhere though.]

I seriously have to finish three essays and a speech now. Have a good night. Love always, ~Heather

P.S. I wore girl shoes the entire night, didn't take them off, trip, get stuck, or fall down. Quite an achievement. ~HB

Comments

Napoleon said…
Explosion of Joy does exist, look under ice cream, 20th Century, under Wikipedia.