.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Adopting in Ashburn

What began in France moved to Washington, DC and then the suburbs. Let the adventures in Ashburn continue.

Friday, April 14, 2006

And then there were none ...

I taught my last class today. I don't even know how to feel about it. I know that it is probably not the last time I'll ever teach, but for sure one of the last times I'll teach in a foreign language. I am going to miss the students. I am going to miss watching them learn and better understand English. There are students who understood nothing at the beginning of the year who are bilingual now. I don't even remember when it happened; when they started being able to understand everything I was saying.

Mind you, there are still some groups that I have to repeat everything for, and some groups were already really well off when I got here, but this is different. I hope they write. It is obviously hard to take all of their addresses so I can write to them - which ones would want letters anyway? But it will be good to see who took advantage of my address and then correspond with them.

I think the hardest part about teaching is probably the end of the year. You let the students go into a vacation of whatever and hope that what you have given them sticks. I'd like to imagine that none of them would forget anything, but that is a little unrealistic. I say this because there are sure to be things I forget too. But I don't ever want to forget this feeling, this idea, this emotion: I have done my absolute best to present myself, my education, and my country to high school students and staff for seven months. I hope they feel like I've done a good job. I hope they remember just that.

I guess you never really want to say goodbye to something that you love, but you have to - you have to make room for the new and exciting thing that is coming next. In my case, I am exceptionally lucky to know that what is coming next is going to be another big thing. Moving away and moving on are a part of life ... an important part. So why is it so hard to do?

"It's the hard that makes it good. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it."
~Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks) in A League of Their Own

Too bad there isn't going to be a fairytale ending. But I guess the good news is that if it isn't a fairytale yet, it must not be the end.

"To live will be an awfully big adventure."
~Peter Pan (Robin Williams)

I'm going out in the courtyard to spend as much time as I can soaking it in. Why don't you ever think to do that before the last few days? Love always, ~Heather

2 Comments:

Anonymous Arafel said...

ok, so why does it always happen like this ? After a few months of settling, meeting people and uses, you're already leaving us ?

It is never easy to say goodbye, especially for the shy guy I am, but I'm very pleased to have seen you today, I would have been very disapointed to let you leave without - at least- telling you how happy I am to have met you. And even then, I haven't said half I had to say...

mhm, isn't this comment a little melodramatic ? Well it is, and I don't care.

I miss you already ,

4:48 AM  
Blogger Gashwin said...

Heather -- prayers and best wishes for the transition. I am in a similar place, leaving my home for the past 11 years ... and transitioning to something new and exciting and at the same time terrifying and unknown.

I am delighted to hear that you'll be in DC. I'll be there, God willing, after the end of August. We should meet up!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Fix this