Skip to main content

Proposal

I propose that one day I should become smart. In the meantime, I am just going to continue filling out applications to graduate school, fellowship and internship opportunities (Smithsonian, Society for Conservation of America, AEI with Newt Gingrich, etc.), and praying that somewhere along the line I actually have the strength of character and mind to choose what I am going to do for the rest of my life.

Seriously though, I am going to post my proposal for my fellowship application after Dad corrects it and any comments would be greatly appreciated. Love ya, ~Heather

Editted by Dad (I changed two words to other synonyms after editting - can you spot which ones???)

My current plan is to outline the societal influences on NASA before thespace race with a focus on the social and cultural consequences of humanspace exploration, specifically in regard to film. My general theory is that NASA and cinema has a symbiotic relationship. Prior to the Mercury missions, the media, movies, and political forces influenced American ideas about the future of human space flight. Furthermore, that after the successful Mercury missions, space flight effected American culture - particularly in respect to film. For example, without NASA's adventures in space, culturally iconic films like Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Alien would have been fantasy films and not science fiction. Without NASA, these films would therefore not have been as successful.

Additionally, I believe that the release of films such as The Red Planet and Mission to Mars coinciding within months of the projected rover landing on Mars, influences public opinion. Successful films lend credence (not to mention understanding and support) of space exploration. Potentially, the space program could be fueled more by movies than any other resource.

Comments