Skip to main content

Sick

This weekend was slightly bummy because I was sick the entire time. Friday night Anna and I hung out at home and watched The Skulls and then an episode of the West Wing. We went out to try and find something to do before that, but wound up just walking around for hours instead. The walking around was good, because we got a chance to see a part of the city that Anna hadn't been to yet and to figure out where we could go the next time we went out. Eh, not much.

Saturday morning we got up and had breakfast in the Place Ducale. We have adopted a restaurant to be our own there. Breakfast was good, and it rejuvenated me, because my throat was incredibly sore. Afterwards, we went to the bus station, got a schedule, and caught the next bus to the hyper-mart, Carrefour. I got an adapter for my computer (thanks Carl!), a broom to sweep up the floor with, stuff to make quesadillas (Anna has never had any!), and some other little things we have been missing. I also bought L'Auberge Espagnol, which is one of my favorite french films. I can watch it on my computer, but I am probably going to have some trouble watching it at home. I don't know what I am going to do about that. I guess I'll worry about it later. Anna bought Les Choristes. Sometime soon I'll have to change the region on my DVD player (in the computer) so we can watch them. The only crummy part is I can only change the region 4 times. Any techies who know how I can avoid this, please let me know!

When we came back, the man who usually lets us use his kitchen was there, so we couldn't use his kitchen. We decided to go for another walk and check back in later. We walked all around town and to the park, Mont Olympe, and just chatted. When we got back, he was still there, so we decided to make ourselves microwave dinners and hang out at home. We were going to go out, but I was feeling rather ill physically, and she needed some down time, so we just vegetated and played the "Ungame" for hours before clicking in Flight of the Navigator. I rolled over and fell asleep, only to wake up and find Anna sleeping too. Eh, we'll have to try that one again sometime.

Sunday morning I got up and went to church. No luck hanging out there, because now my nose was running like a broken faucet. Anna and I went out for lunch and ran into some other assistants. We spent a long time with them, walked around a bit more, and then headed back to their place. I went through two cough drops and an entire packet of tissues! So then Anna and I went home, rested, and then went back out to find some dinner. The french equivalent to fast food is the only thing available on Sunday nights (they want you to go home and eat, which we would, if we had a kitchen!). So, we grabbed some kebabs and fries and went back to the park to talk and picnic. I swear Anna just likes walking over the pedestrain bridge and that's why we go to the park so much. Really.

After it got dark, we headed home. We did lesson plans, called our families, made Halloween BINGO for our students, photocopied worksheets, watched another West Wing, and then talked some more. I'm really glad that she's here, because it is good to have someone to hang out with - especially because I was really too sick to do anything else. I went to bed, and for the first time dreamt a little in french, probably about half of the dream. I think it is a sign that things are going well. I hope so. I have more teaching to do this afternoon and then a girl we met at the assistants' orientation is coming to hang out for the day. Anna was done this morning, so they are out about town now and we'll meet up for dinner later. It should be fun. I just hope I don't get her sick too. Talk to you soon, *sniffle, sniffle, cough cough.* Love always ~Heather (Aren't you glad I am in France now! Much less contagious via computer.)

Comments