Skip to main content

Labor Day Weekend 2009 - Part 3

This is being posted belatedly as the internet connection at home was completely useless when I was typing this on Monday. Also, it's in parts because I am an unapologetic rambler.

This morning I slept in as late as possible (I desperately need to fix my curtains again so I can PLEASE not have the sun glaring in so much), and then lounged in bed finishing Anne of the Island, the third book in the Anne of Green Gables series. I’ve been re-reading them the past week or so, and am falling in love with them all over again. (Wow, I am exceptionally girly .)

I got up and journaled, talked to the landlord about the rat in our backyard, had breakfast and otherwise putzed about. Rachel and I worked on getting the Internet revived (because it still is horrifyingly slow and awful at our house), and the landlord surprised me by mowing our backyard, weeding the patio, and weed-wacking along the fence. I was thrilled to be relieved of those chores, and the yard certainly looks nice enough now.

So I went out and repotted a calla lilly I received for my birthday, a Mexican heather I’d bought but hadn’t planted (its sisters died in the June heat), and the basil that had been rooting in water since Father’s Day. All three are now happily basking in clay pots around the living room.
ASIDE (the third): This summer has been a real ringer for me. I’ve tried to be as positive as possible in my posting, but I was getting over a broken heart, pushing through a tough work environment, and trying desperately to find myself amidst a big pile of personal mess. In the past couple of weeks, I’ve felt myself return to happiness. I’m glad to wake up in the morning, I’m losing weight (on purpose), I’m cleaning up my room and the other parts of the house, and finding it really difficult to not look on the bright side of things. I haven’t felt light like this (on a regular basis) since Valentine’s Day. I am LOVING feeling a bit back to normal.
The flowers and herbs aren’t the only ones who found new homes today either. I hung five frames that have been leaning against walls, tidied the foyer, and relocated two of our three wine racks (Yes, we drink a lot of wine here, but it’s too delicious not to!).

There are still plenty of things to do, like putting away a box of dried goods in the kitchen, cleaning the carrots I pulled out of the garden to thin the bed a bit, letter writing, bill paying, hanging out with Malise, and cleaning off my dresser (to mention a few). But for the first time in a long time, I’m not dreading the work. Oh, sure, I’m dreading the chores themselves - who really likes cleaning out drawers, cabinets, and closets? – but I know that when I’m done, my life is going to be much more put together. And I love that.

So, with that, I’m off to take a shower before we have dinner at our new neighbor’s house (I love having friendly neighbors!) and then maybe getting to the rest of the housework before bedtime.

Hope you’ve had a great weekend too!

Lots of love, ~Heather

UPDATE: Dinner with our neighbor was great, and it was super fun to hang out with all of us roommates together too. Definitely a magnificent way to round out the weekend.

Comments