Skip to main content

Labor Day Weekend 2009 - Part 1

This is being posted belatedly as the internet connection at home was completely useless when I was typing this on Monday. Also, it's in parts because I am an unapologetic rambler.

It’s been an excellent holiday weekend.

In my brain it really started with Lorien and my having a date with the Gamecocks. We had dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere as USC stood their sloppy ground for a 7-4 win over NC State. Luckily, the Jets were beating the Eagles on the next television over, so I got to see both of my teams win on the same night.

Friday I left work a little after 1 p.m. and didn’t look back …

After lunch I went out and did a bit of volleyball conditioning on the sand courts down by the river with a friend from the Wednesday night rec pick-up I’ve been going to. It was our first time conditioning together, so it was a workout, but I foresee much more challenging sessions as we get used to each other.

I cleaned myself up a little bit, talked to one of my aunts for an hour and then had dinner with Kate (lamb, green beans, and blueberry crumb cake) while helping her prep for the next morning’s brunch with her new beau. I rounded out the evening with a good book and a reasonable bedtime.

Saturday was so bright and sunny that I couldn’t help but get out of bed at a reasonable hour. I washed my sheets and made banana cake before heading out to the front garden. It had been awhile since I’d had the time (and strength of will) to tackle the weeds that started overtaking the garden. In about an hour I’d: trimmed back ivy crawling in from my neighbor’s yard, lifted all the dahlia bulbs I could, trimmed the gladiolas to their bases, dug out the two holly bushes that burned out and couldn’t revive themselves, and swept the errant mulch from the walk.

Then I cleaned the dirt off myself and went out to get some pictures printed for the collage wall we’ve designed in the living room. It’s going to be lovely when we’ve finished it, but it definitely needed some art in it.

But, I didn’t wind up getting them in their frames, because it was back to the bar for the Florida vs. Charleston Southern slaughter. I’d call it a game, but seeing as it was 42-3 at the half, it’s hard to say there was much competition. It got super smoky, so Lorien and her boyfriend and I went to watch soccer elsewhere, before I decided to get to bed.

More to come in Parts 2 and 3.

Love always, ~Heather