.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Adopting in Ashburn

What began in France moved to Washington, DC and then the suburbs. Let the adventures in Ashburn continue.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Invent America!

So, way back in the fourth grade, I invented this "thing" for Invent America!.

I wanted to help eliminate pollution from big rig trucks on the highway, so I made a prototype of a box that could be put on the end of exhaust pipes that would clean the air before expelling it into the atmosphere. Unfortunately, as I was 10, it was made primarily of cardstock, popsicle sticks, glue, and brads (those little metal things so that the doors could move).

I knew that the little assembly line-filter system I had in my brain wasn't feasibly possible then (this was the beginning of the time I was thinking of becoming an engineer). And, as my project failed considerably in comparison to the tactile, and practical applications of my classmates' projects - an ice cream scoop with an internal heating coil (actually got sent in for a patent!), a plexiglass box with gloves inside so you could read a book in the shower without messing up the book (by my former roommate), and homemade, streak-free glass cleaner - I lost the competition by far.

However, my idea was redeemed (in my mind) as I read this article about crystals that can pull the CO2 out of the air. Since getting a tree in the "magic exhaust pipe box" is out of the question, these crystals could mean the beginning of a whole new invention.

All I need now are some popsicle sticks to build a model with.

Love always, ~Heather

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Fix this