Skip to main content

Pensive Puzzle

I'm supposed to be spending this week thinking. I have a lot on my mind. Here is my list of things so far:
  1. I used to be much better at asking about other peoples' days. I need to focus on being a better listener.
  2. Emotions are tricky things. There is a time to show them, a time to guard them, and a time to assess what all those feelings really mean and where they come from.
  3. Balance in life is important. Too much (or too little) of anything is a really bad idea.
  4. Being good at something and loving something are two different things. The ideal situation is a combination of the two.
  5. I'm incredibly lucky to have an amazing support system of family and friends.
As I was taking the dogs for a walk just now I was trying to find the right words to fill in the rest of this list. What I came up with was actually a metaphor for the main thoughts I've been having the past couple of days.

Our lives are like puzzles, with pieces scattered over the course of our lives. Our early influences help put together the edges, slowly building out from the corners. Each experience we have puts another piece in the center of our puzzle, even if it doesn't connect to anything else right away.

In the puzzle of life, not all the edges are smooth. They're like those edgeless puzzles; designed so that as we meet compatible puzzles, we can connect with them. But we also have to maintain ourselves. We have to keep the pieces we've got together, and try to gain what we need to keep developing, without losing too much when things break off.

Breaking can be caused by illness, moves to a new place, everyday decisions, or world-shattering events. It's our job to put the pieces back together when this happens, or adjust to keep ourselves together without them.

I'm not 100% sure I know where I'm going with that, but now that I've got the imagery down for you, I'm off to watch some more Apollo 13 before heading to bed for the night. There's a lot of driving in my immediate future and a lot more thinking about life. If I figure out how that puzzle metaphor is going to ork out for me, I'll let you know.

Love always, ~Heather

Comments