Skip to main content

Accountability

I think one reason that Lent works for me is that it makes me accountable to someone - God. Arguably, I'm accountable to God everyday, but the truth is, I just don't think about it as much as I should. So for the next 40 days or so, I'm using this focus to my advantage and I'm going to give more (instead of giving up).

I will give others:
  • The gift of snail mail. One letter/card/package sent every day to someone in my address book. If you'd like to be part of this project, please send me your address.
  • More reflective prayer. Each night before bed and especially on longer drives in the car in lieu of listening to the radio.
I will give myself:
  • 30 minutes of dedicated, independent exercise a day - everyday, with the exception of tournament days (since those can sometimes mean 8 hours of team exercise). I will also give myself the opportunity to re-watch Sex and the City an episode a morning while on the elliptical to make this easier to get used to doing.
  • A chance to taste sweet, delicious treats; but in half of my usual portion size. When possible, I will share desserts (since I'm WAY more likely to let the other person have more than me than be comfortable leaving food on a dish).
I think the biggest of these challenges is going to be the letter writing. I know I'm not going to feel like sending mail every. single. day. BUT, it isn't about me. It's about being there for others as they have been for me. Plus, at some point, you just have to use up 27 years of stationary remnants.

I'm putting my Lenten promise out there publicly this year to help keep myself accountable. I am aware that I may make mistakes or slip up in my plans. I know that none of these things are even remotely close to the sacrifices that they should symbolically be emulating. But these are the things I can say and do.

Comments

Mari said…
I love this idea. I'll send you my address, and I'm the kind of person who will write you back!