Tonight I made french onion soup, Mastering the Art of French Cooking-style. It didn't turn out exactly as I predicted for a few reasons, but it was certainly delicious. Here are my suggested tweaks:
- Use sweet yellow onions. Vidalia's are good but after all that cooking, were not super sweet.
- Don't cover the onions during the 40 minute simmer. They'll brown faster.
- Lamb stock is not ideal, as it has too much of its own flavor.
- If you make your own stock, simmer the herbs and spices into it independently, not as the soup simmers.
- Croutons should be baked to golden brown, not cinnamon brown.