Skip to main content

A Million Gajillion Years

I know it feels like that long since I've posted here. Here's what's been going on:

I work on a team that has two responsibilities - I focus on the more communications side and my counterpart (a level above me, but not my direct supervisor) did more of the government relations. She left in August, and I am super excited for the new adventures her life is taking her on. However, this left me doing two jobs.

My team has a few other people on it too. Two full-time interns/fellows. Now they're not fetching coffee or making copies - they're doing substantial work; and one position was taken away in September. That left 80 hours of work a week (let's say that it's 80, instead of the reality which was 9+ hour days more than once a week) to be split among myself, a new fellow, my direct supervisor, and our administrative assistant. My direct supervisor is leaving in two weeks to start a company. That's an additional 60+ hours for the fellow, our assistant and me.

Between learning everything I can about their jobs, working with some organizational shifts and three other key staff in the office relocating for school or family reasons, and trying to do my regular work load, work has become... challenging. To say the least.

I don't mind the challenge. Anyone who saw my schedule in college knows I like to cram as much into my days as possible. But here's my weekly math:

My regular 40 hours + 3/4 of my counterpart's former hours (30) + 1/4 former intern hours (the other 30 are being shared by our assistant and the fellow) + 5 hours/week covering/helping other new staff get adjusted + learning everything I can about my boss' job (5 now, but soon to be many, many more) = exhausted Heather

Now, I'm not actually in the office 90 hours a week (yet...) but, the stress of juggling all of those things and trying to keep some semblance of a work life balance is - to say the least - more than I've ever experienced (including the semester I was working 45 hours a week, taking 19 credit hours, coaching two club volleyball teams, and serving as president of the Honors Council).

Don't get me wrong, I like a to write, but getting back on the computer at night just isn't my first thought when I get home. In fact, I wouldn't be surviving if it wasn't for my new volunteering opportunities, volleyball starting back up this month, and the man who loves me like crazy and refuses to let me go (completely) nuts.

So to all the people in my life who have helped me keep my sanity the past three months, thank you. To all the readers I've been neglecting, I'm sorry. I swear I'm thinking about you; and desperately looking forward to a time (maybe when we hire new staff???) when I'll be able to be back in the blogosphere as much as I was before.

Much love to all of you and thanks for your constant support and listening "ears." ~Heather

Comments