Skip to main content

Dating Chronicles: The First Date

I'm a single girl in the city. If you're reading this, you probably knew that already. I decided last January after I met friends at an inaugural ball, that having a date every once in awhile might be a good thing.

Over the past few months I've tried being "out there" more. This is, in general, a miserable strategy. Anyone who knows anything knows that you'll never find the right person when you're looking for them. They're just going to show up.

This however, has not stopped me from practice dating. I call it practice, because I was never one of those people who dated in high school or college. I never went out on dates, even when I was really dating someone. It's always been friends who transitioned into relationships. This makes me feel like I missed some essential stage in the grown-up dating world.

In case there are other people out there like me, who have never done this, but feel like being part of this mid-twenties phenomenon, I've decided to help out by compiling some facts as I learn them.

Tonight's tidbit is about first dates. I have not had that many first dates, but here are some things I know now:
  • Disney movies are fun. Other movies have the option to go poorly. Crappy movies = bad post-movie conversation.
  • The shorter the original date plan, the better. You can always extend if it's going well, but you have an excuse to leave if it isn't.
  • Do not wear windpants. If your date arrives wearing windpants (that's warm-ups or the like for you northerners), have an immediate exit strategy. Unless you are having your date at a gym. No other excuses.
  • If you want to go home before you've left the parking lot, feign sickness and immediately go back in. Your instincts are probably right.
  • Do choose something you both like. I don't like coffee, so it's important for me to have an alternative plan in mind.
  • Do not agree to a date when you've just:
    • Heard an ex was getting engaged/pregnant/etc.
    • Had an incredibly, terrible, no-good day.
  • Remember it's just a date. This is supposed to be fun. If it isn't, you don't have to have another.
I'm no Carrie Bradshaw, but all I can hope is that this is going to help someone else.

Note to singles: You're probably going to learn these lessons yourself, because you'll forget in the heat of the moment, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Love always, ~Heather

Comments