Skip to main content

If My Life Were a Movie

If ... my life were a movie, it would be called Studying.

I had a fairly studious Sunday, digging into my annotated bibliography (professor says I am on the right track!), reading for Writing, and outlining 100 pages of a book for a study group on Tuesday.

Dana and I went to church this morning and then came home for a bit. We went down to the Mall this afternoon to study. The weather was wonderful. We had to move the blanket like four times to stay in the sunlight, because I wasn't smart enough to move us completely to the other side the first time (as the sun went down the shadows made us pretty cold). We stopped by Bill's place so she could feed his chinchilla and then we came home. It was fun and productive. And we didn't get lost or make a wrong turn.

That is more than we can say for the guy who delivered our chicken wings tonight. Dana had a craving, so we ordered in. Unfortunately our driver was about as slack as they come. I gave him as explicit of instructions as you can give, and he missed our place - like three times. I know our little cul de sac isn't the easiest to locate, but if I am on the phone with you and say, okay, it is the next turn, and you still miss it, you should reconsider being a delivery guy.

Now it is a little early, but I might go to sleep. Sounds strange, but I think I need to. My head is anywhere but on my studies. The proverbial "they" say you only retain about 60-70% of what you read. Tonight I would have to read everything about five times to get even close to that amount of retention. I am feeling a little poetical though, so using movie quotes I think I am going to attempt to clear my head (then maybe I can study a little more before bed!).

The Story of My Current Mindset (In movie quotes)

"It's a 37-hour day. Give it a few months, you'll get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode." (MIB) "There's real danger: losing your mind." (What Dreams May Come) "Carpe Diem. Seize the day ... Make your lives extraordinary." (Dead Poet's Society) "Anyone ever tell you too much persistence can make you kind of stupid?" (What Dreams May Come)

What are you doing here? I thought you were studying? "Really? I am just a figment of your imagination." (MIB) "When are you going to stop acting like a child?" ... "I am a child!" (Hook) "Well, nobody's perfect." (Some Like it Hot)

Then I went outside to study. "So, it's sort of social, demented and sad, but social. Right?" (The Breakfast Club) No, not really. "Then how am I ever supposed to meet anybody?" (Back to the Future) Someday your prince will come.

"The truth is Helen of Troy." (The Truth About Cats and Dogs) “I don’t give a damn.” (Gone with the Wind) "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." (The Godfather) "You're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?" (The Graduate) "Sex happens to be the one subject I can speak about ... with absolutely no authority whatsoever." (A Chorus Line) "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." (Casablanca) "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. And don't you forget it." (On Golden Pond) “Inconceivable.” (The Princess Bride)

Time for bed. Love always, ~Heather

Comments